The Margarida Losa Institute for Comparative Literature (ILCML) is an R&D unit dedicated to fundamental research and the creation of scientific and innovative knowledge in the field of literary history, theory, and criticism, as well as cultural and artistic studies. Taking a comparative approach, ILCML prioritizes interlinguistic, intercultural, interartistic, and interdiscursive perspectives.
Since its foundation, ILCML has been providing support for the teaching of Culture and Literature at the School of Humanities of the University of Porto, seeking to contribute to the training of high quality professionals and socially aware, well-rounded, and autonomous individuals.
Another part of its mission is active participation in the social sphere, primarily through fostering cultural projects with an emphasis on citizenship, thus contributing to the construction of more inclusive and sustainable communities.
- Freedom and Independence – ILCML promotes freedom of research, independence of action, and critical thinking in order to develop spaces for the production, reformulation, and transmission of inclusive knowledge;
- Excellence and Integrity – ILCML values rigor and quality in research and advanced education, without ever dissociating scientific excellence from an ethical, honest, and responsible stance;
- Relationality and Collaboration – ILCML encourages the adoption of relational and intersectional epistemological strategies in the study of literature and the arts, as well as collaborative work. It not only fosters a multicultural and interlinguistic perspective (to integrate artistic works into supranational cultural contexts and literary typologies), but also identifies and challenges biases in research (to promote diversity of thought and representation);
- Innovation and Creativity – ILCML values different means of research and artistic creation, welcoming new ideas and projects that can creatively and innovatively address the challenges of contemporary societies;
- Sustainability and Social Responsibility – ILCML promotes openness to society and a commitment to the communities it interacts with, integrating the principles of sustainability into its scientific policies and its research and cultural outreach practices;
The Margarida Losa Comparative Literature Institute aims to remain a benchmark research unit in the Humanities and Literary Studies, and particularly in the field of Comparative Literature. As a catalyst for transformation, ILCML seeks to position itself as a dynamic and creative center in the areas of research and advanced training, playing an active role in public debate and fostering a praxis of open science. Our strategic vision involves strengthening impact and internationalization by welcoming new researchers and new national and international partners, in close collaboration with the scientific community and the general public.
- to problematize cultural, aesthetic, social, and identity-related issues from a comparative perspective;
- to respond to current challenges in research;
- to continue to position ourselves as a center for the production of excellence in scholarship;
- to address the challenges presented by the digital transition framework and develop practices that draw upon the Digital Humanities;
- to contribute to an inclusive, sustainable, and informed research ecosystem;
- to produce research within a multilingual horizon;